Thursday, October 13, 2011


We had the wonderful privilege of taking our three sons camping this past weekend. It was incredible fun and the boys had a blast! It brought back so many memories from my childhood and teenage years, of times we camped in the Rockies when we were growing up. Then in Chile we would camp with a few close family friends. As a teenager I would go backpacking with my friends as often as we could. But somewhere over the past several years it has been something i have done very little of. We tried to take the boys once when we went to see my parents in New Mexico but Kim gets terrible altitude sickness and we ended up having to drive her out of the mountains and so the boys and I only stayed one night.

This time we went to Arkansas where the mountains are not as high and Kim wouldn't have to deal with the altitude. We got to spend four days on this trip and it was great! AS we walked some of the several trails in Petite Jean state park I was reminded why I love the outdoors and especially the mountains. With the combination of pine trees that dominate the smell of the air and the various oaks and elms amongst others changing colors for fall it stimulates the senses. Then there are the incredible rocks! Boulders the size of buses and even larger, plenty of things to climb. These are the memories I had from growing up and now my boys will too!



One of my favorite trails we took was the trail to "Bear Cave." this was my boys favorite part as well. The trail ends up at this huge rock formations. Boulders the size of houses piled on top of each other making towers that reach three to four stories high. Perfect for climbing! While I didn't take the boys all the way to the tops as it would have been far to difficult the teens that were with us did. The boys climbed for hours and could have climbed all day had we let them. AS we climbed I was reminded of Luke 19, where Jesus responds to the Pharisees when they ask him to quiet the people who were praising him and throwing palm branches down as he entered Jerusalem. Jesus responds in verse 40 saying:
“I tell you, if these become silent, the stones will cry out!”

Walking thorough Gods creation. One is reminded of His glory revealed! His Majesty! as if God placed these stones here to build a playground for His children to play on and remember how much He loves us! To drive us to praise Him.

Thank You God for your splendor and your creation. You are truly an amazing God!


1 comment: